- Team Edural
The TNPSC has announced 531 vacancies for various junior engineer posts for the year 2021. The written examination was initially scheduled for 06 June 2021 but has been postponed due to a surge in COVID-19 cases in the state. The Commission hasn't announced the revised dates yet. We will update the examination dates in this article, so stay tuned!
Link to Official Notification
Find the link to the official TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 here.
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Important dates
|Notification release||05 March 2021|
|Start date of application||05 March 2021|
|Last date to submit application||04 April 2021|
|Date of Written Examination||06 June 2021 (postponed)|
|Written Examination Results||to be announced|
Eligibility Criteria for TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021
Indian nationals with adequate knowledge of Tamil are eligible to apply.
|Junior Draughting Officer in Highways Department||Diploma in Civil Engineering|
|Junior Draughting Officer in Public Works Department||Diploma in Civil Engineering/ Diploma in Architectural Assistantship|
|Junior Technical Assistant in Handlooms and Textiles Department||Diploma in Handloom Technology/ Diploma in Textile Manufacture|
|Junior Engineer in Fisheries Department||Diploma in Civil Engineering|
Age (as on 01/07/2021)
Candidates older than 21 and under the age of 30 are eligible to apply.
The state offers relaxation in upper age limits to specific categories.
|Category||Maximum Age limit|
Selected candidates will have to go through some standard physical tests before the appointment. Details of the tests are given in the notification.
Applicants should have a basic understanding and adequate knowledge of Tamil.
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Application fee
|Registration fee||₹ 150|
|Examination fee||₹ 100|
How to Apply for TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021
- Visit the TNPSC website.
- Read the detailed instructions to applicants given by the Commission.
- Go to the "Recruitment" section and click on "Online Application Services."
- Select "Apply Online", and you will be redirected to an external website.
- Before you get started on your application, you will have to register yourself by clicking on the "One Time Registration and Dashboard" tab. Candidates who have already registered can directly proceed with their application.
- After registration, you can proceed with your application.
- Click on the "Apply Now" tab.
- In a new window, you will find a list of examinations whose applications are open.
- Select your examination and start filling your application form by entering the credentials given during the registration process.
- Attach all the required documents.
- Make the fee payment by any of these modes - Net Banking/ Debit Card / Credit Card/ Bank Challan/ Post Office Challan.
- After making the payment, wait for confirmation intimation from the server.
- After the transaction is successful, a unique application number is generated. Note down your application number for future reference.
- Keep a printout of the application with you.
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Admit Card
Candidates who have applied for the Combined Engineering Subordinate Examination 2021 can download their admit cards from the commission website. Instructions to download the admit card-
- Go to the official website of TNPSC.
- Click on the "Hallticket download" link under "Online Services", and you will be redirected to an external website.
- Go to the "One Time Registration & Dashboard" tab.
- Sign in to your profile by entering the correct credentials given during registration.
- All activities and links related to the examination applied for the applicants' ease will be given on one page.
- The download link will be activated when the commission releases the admit cards.
- A hard copy of the admit card must be produced by candidates to enter the examination venue.
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Vacancy
|Junior Draughting Officer in Highways Department||183|
|Junior Draughting Officer in Public Works Department||348|
|Junior Technical Assistant in Handlooms and Textiles Department||01|
|Junior Engineer in Fisheries Department||05|
The standard rule of reservation of appointments is applicable for this recruitment, and the Commission will announce the distribution of vacancies later.
The selection process involves the following stages.
- Written Examination
- Document verification
- Final appointment subject to reservations
Depending upon the marks obtained by candidates in the written examination, a list of candidates eligible for document verification will be released on the commission website. Candidates who make it to the merit list will be called for document verification by the commission, and the final appointment is made subject to reservations by counselling.
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination Pattern
|Paper||Number of questions||Maximum marks||Duration||Type of questions|
|Paper-I (Subject paper)||200||300||3 hours||Objective|
|Paper-II (General Studies)||100||200||2 hours||Objective|
|TOTAL||300||500||5 hours (two sessions)|
Selection of Subject paper-
|Junior Draughting Officer in Highways Department||Civil Engineering/|
|Junior Draughting Officer in Public Works Department||Civil Engineering/ Architectural Assistantship|
|Junior Technical Assistant in Handlooms and Textiles Department||Handloom Technology/ Textile Manufacture|
|Junior Engineer in Fisheries Department||Civil Engineering/|
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Syllabus
|General Studies||003||click here|
|Architectural assistantship||323||click here|
|Civil Engineering||299||click here|
|Handloom Technology/ Textile Manufacture||339||click here|
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Result
The Commission will release a list of qualifying candidates based on the results of the written examination. These candidates are subjected to online document verification. Candidates who produce all the required documents correctly will be called in for offline verification of documents and counselling. The counselling schedule will be posted on the commission website. On counselling date, qualified candidates have to produce all original documents and proofs supporting the claims during application. Only after thorough verification and validation of documents, the final appointment is made. During counselling, the distribution of vacancies among different posts and categories will be displayed on a screen in the common waiting hall. The vacancies being filled will be updated regularly.
At the end of each day of counselling, the department-wise, district-wise, communal reservation-wise allotment of posts, as well as the vacancy position, will also be published on the Commission’s official website.
TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021 Cut-off
The cut-off marks vary every year as it depends on factors like the number of vacancies advertised, the number of candidates appearing for the written examination, difficulty level, etc. The expected minimum qualifying marks for this year is given below-
|Category||Minimum Qualifying Marks|
|SCs, SC(A)s, STs, BC(OBCM)s, MBCs/DCs and BCMs||150 marks|
The job description of a subordinate engineering officer include
- Assisting the Engineering Officer with detailed technical drawings of buildings, equipment, etc.
- Help with the administrative work related to projects undertaken by the department.
- Maintenance of departmental facilities, records pertaining to constructions and repairs.
- Preparation of estimates for departmental construction and renovation works.
|Junior Draughting Officer in Highways Department||₹ 35,400-1,12,400|
|Junior Draughting Officer in Public Works Department||₹ 35,400-1,12,400|
|Junior Technical Assistant in Handlooms and Textiles Department||₹ 35,400-1,12,400|
|Junior Engineer in Fisheries Department||₹ 35,900-1,13,500|
Preparation tips for TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021
- The first thing you need to do before starting your preparation is to comprehend the syllabus and the examination pattern carefully. Know the exam pattern like the back of your hand.
- Most of the questions from general studies are repetitive. Solving previous years question papers will be of great advantage.
- Plan and divide your time. Designate time for complicated topics in the syllabus. This varies from person to person. Identify your weak areas and work on them.
- Select your subject paper carefully based on the post you are aiming for, and prepare accordingly. Your diploma books will primarily cover the prescribed syllabus in comfortable language.
|Year||General Studies||Civil Engineering||Architectural Assistantship||Handloom Technology|
|2018||click here||click here||click here||click here|
|2019||click here||click here||click here||click here|
Recommended Books for TNPSC Combined Engineering Subordinate Services Examination 2021
|High school Science textbooks||NCERT|
|High school Social Science textbooks||NCERT|
|General Knowledge||Manohar Pandey/Arihant|
|TNPSC Aptitude and Mental Ability Exam Guides||V.V.K. Subburaj|
|Quantitative aptitude for competitive examinations||S. Chand Publications|
|Newspapers and Magazines||The Hindu, Indian Express, Daily Thanthi, Competition Success Review, Pratiyogita Darpan|
|Civil Engineering Objective Book||Gupta and Gupta|
|Highway Engineering||Khanna & Justo|
|Building Planning and Drawing||S S Bhavikatti and M V Chitawa|
|Principles of textile testing||J E Booth|
Syllabus: Covering all the topics in the syllabus is very important. Don't limit yourself to only conventional sources. Solve a maximum number of multiple-choice questions for practice. There is plenty of practice material available on the internet - mock tests, sample papers, e-books, video lectures, online study materials, topper notes, etc.
Making notes: make short notes as you proceed through the syllabus. These notes should be crisp and to the point. Include mind maps and flowcharts wherever appropriate. Make notes for each chapter highlighting essential details and include a precise explanation of concepts.
Solve previous year papers- Try solving them by having yourself the time limit which you are getting in the examination. The main objective of doing this is that aspirants will identify their weak & strong areas.
Quality Study- It is suggested to not cramp yourself with a massive bulk of study material from multiple sources. This causes you to end up studying nothing instead.
We hope this article gave you a headstart on your preparation. Go through the official notification carefully and stay updated with all the developments regarding the examination. We wish you All the Best!