- Team Edural
OSSC has announced 35 new vacancies for the post of Food Safety Officer under Commissioner on a contractual basis. The staff selection commission has invited online applications from eligible candidates for the position of Food Safety Officer.
OSSC Food Safety Officer - At a glance
|Exam name||Written Examination for Food Safety Officer|
|Conducting body||Orissa Staff Selection Commission (OSSC)|
|Post||Food Safety Officer|
|Exam Duration||3 hours written examination + 1 hour computer skills test|
|Date of Examination||Will be mentioned in the Admission letter.|
|Selection process||Written Examination, Computer Skills Test and Document Verification|
|Latest update||Applications open from 26 July 2021. Click here to apply.|
OSSC Food Safety Officer recruitment Important dates
|Start date of online Registration||26 July 2021|
|End date of Online registration||28 August 2021|
|Online application form opens||26 July 2021|
|Closing date of online application form||04 September 2021|
|Release of Admit Cards||to be announced|
|Date of written examination||to be announced|
|Date of Computer Skills Test||to be announced|
|Declaration of results||to be announced|
Eligibility Criteria for OSSC Food Safety Officer
The candidate must be an Indian Citizen who can read, speak and write Odia.
- Candidates must have a degree in Food Technology/Dairy Technology/Biotechnology/Oil Technology/Agricultural Science/Biochemistry/ Microbiology or a Masters degree in Chemistry or Degree in Medicine from AICTE approved university recognised by the UGC.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 60% aggregate in the qualifying examination to be eligible.
- Candidates must possess adequate knowledge of Computers to be considered fit for the job.
Age (as of 01/01/2021)
The candidate should not be younger than 21 and not older than 32 years to apply.
|Category||Relaxation of Upper Age Limit|
|SEBC, SC, ST. Women Candidates||5 years|
|PwD Category (General)||10 years|
|PwD Category (SC & ST)||10 years|
|Ex-servicemen||Total period of service|
How to Apply for OSSC Food Safety Officer
- Visit the official website - https://www.ossc.gov.in/.
- Click on "Apply Online".
- Read the prerequisites mentioned for the examination carefully.
- Fill in the registration details and set a strong password for your profile.
- Now go to "Registered Candidate's Login" and enter your credentials.
- Complete the rest of the application form.
- Upload the required documents.
- Pay the examination fee through any one of the acceptable payment methods.
- After the transaction is successful, take a printout of your application form for future reference.
The admit cards will be hosted on the official website before the examination date. It is an important document that needs to be carried to the examination venue. Failure to produce admit card may result in the expulsion of the candidate. Stay in touch with the website for updates.
Vacancy and Reserve list
The recruitment process includes three stages-
- Written examination
- Computer Skills test
- Document verification
Main written examination
The written examination consists of 100 Multiple choice questions in the composite paper and 100 multiple choice questions in the Technical paper.
Duration: 3 hours ( 1 hour 30 minutes for each paper)
|Subject Paper||Number of questions||Maximum marks|
|PAPER-I (Composite paper)||100||100|
|PAPER-II (Technical paper)||100||100|
|Food Safety Act & Rule||50||50|
- Each question carries one mark.
- There is no negative marking in Paper-I.
- There is a negative marking of -0.25 marks in Paper-II.
Computer Skills test
- Maximum marks: 50
- Duration: 1 hour
- The test is qualifying in nature. The minimum mark required for qualification is 15 marks.
Paper-I: COMPOSITE PAPER
|General Studies||Indian History, Economics, Geography, Major events in World History, General Science, Environment issues, Human Rights issues, Indian Polity, Current events|
|Mathematics||Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Statistics and Trigonometry|
|Computer Application||Windows, MS Office, MS Access and Usage of Internet Services|
|English||Grammar, Usage and Vocabulary|
Paper-II: TECHNICAL PAPER
Food Safety Standards, Act, Rules and Regulations
- Food: Definition, Food additives and Processing Aid, Contaminants, Toxic Substances and Heavy Metals
- Pesticides: Pest Control, Antibiotic Residues and Microbiological Control
- Genetically Modified Foods, Organic Foods, Functional Foods, Proprietary Foods
- Packaging and Labelling of Foods
- Restriction on advertisement and prohibition to unfair trade practices
- Responsibilities of the Business Food Operator
- Liability of manufacturers, packers, whole-sellers, distributors and sellers
- Food Recall procedures
- Licensing and Registration of Food Business
- General requirements on Hygienic and Sanitary practices by the FBO (Good Manufacturing Practice, Good Hygienic Practice, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point/ Personal Hygiene)
- Water Pollution: Potable Water: sources and methods of purification, Food and Water Borne Diseases
- Carbohydrates, Protein, Lipids - Definition, Classification, Properties and Significance
- Essential and non-essential Amino Acids
- Vitamins (Fat Soluble and Water Soluble Vitamins) - Sources, Properties and Significance
- Enzymes - Definition, Classification, Properties, Co- Enzymes
- Chemical components of Food - Micro and Micronutrients, their dietary sources and biochemical rules
- Nutrition Deficiency Disorders
- To estimate Acid Value, Iodine Value and Saponification value of lipids
- Food Spoilage - Microorganisms, conditions (Factors and Control)
- Food poisoning (intoxication) - Bacterial, Fungal, Algal
- Food Preservation: Storage, Physical and Chemical Methods
- Fermentation of Food Items - Types, production of cheese, yoghurt, bread etc.
Results will be hosted on the official website. Stay connected with the website for updates.
The Officials will announce the cut-off marks after the examination is conducted. The final merit list will be compiled based on the cut-off marks. Stay connected with the website for updates.
Duties and Responsibilities include
- Inspecting food samples from restaurants in the region.
- Inspecting food storage.
- Making sure that food safety standards are followed.
The starting salary of a Food Safety Officer in Orissa is ₹ 16,880.
- The first thing you need to do before starting your preparation is to comprehend the syllabus and examination pattern carefully. Keep a copy of the detailed syllabus with you to make sure you don't miss any topic.
- Most of the questions from general studies are repetitive. Solving previous years question papers will be of great advantage for the preliminary examination. The initial exam is objective type, and hence the kind of questions asked is similar to previous years.
- Plan and divide your time. Designate time for complicated topics in the syllabus. This varies from person to person. Identify your weak areas and work on them.
|General Studies Paper 1 2021 for Civil Services Preliminary Examination and State Examinations||McGraw Hill|
|Handbook of Mathematics||Arihant|
|Computer Applications||V Chitra|
|Easy to learn general English||Exam Cart|
|Short Notes on Food safety officer examination||Chandra S|
|Handbook of Chemistry||Arihant|
Syllabus: Covering all the topics in the syllabus is very important. Don't limit yourself to only conventional sources. Solve a maximum number of multiple-choice questions for practice. There is plenty of practice material available on the internet - mock tests, sample papers, e-books, video lectures, online study materials, topper notes, etc.
Making notes: make short notes as you proceed through the syllabus. These notes should be crisp and to the point. Include mind maps and flowcharts wherever appropriate. Make notes for each chapter highlighting essential details and include a precise explanation of concepts.
Solve previous year papers- Try solving them by having yourself the time limit which you are getting in the examination. The main objective of doing this is that aspirants will identify their weak & strong areas.
Quality Study- It is suggested to not cramp yourself with a massive bulk of study material from multiple sources. This causes you to end up studying nothing instead.
We hope this article gave you a headstart on your preparation. Go through the official notification carefully and stay updated with all the developments regarding the examination. We wish you All the Best!